Welcome back to the MGLMix Gamers and this week we are back with a bang! We went to EGX Birmingham just over a week ago and saw some outstanding gaming while we were there and we have a number of videos for you on Respawn Rossco’s thoughts following some quality games shown at EGX.
Here you can check out Respawn Rossco’s 10 Incredible Indie Games from the show including upcoming release Sublevel Zero, the stunning Beyond Flesh and Blood and Eden Star. Plus some really cool fun games in Theo and Lizzy, Raging Justice, The Escapists Walking Dead and one presented by two “ladies”(with considerable facial hair) called Not CoD which was interesting.
Riot – Civil Unrest was new to us and looked incredible as did the now open world Unbox and the always fun Tango Fiesta was also blasting us back to the past.
Use the list function further details on these Incredible Indies!
Games in the Video
1. Sublevel Zero
Sublevel Zero is a first-person, six-degree-of-freedom roguelike shooter set in a universe where reality is falling apart. Step into the cockpit of a lone gunship and navigate your way through a labyrinth of procedurally-generated 3D levels, puzzles and foes to source valuable ancient artefacts. Descend into a vast underground facility in your mission to loot and craft ancient technology which holds the key to your clan’s survival.
Inspired by gaming classics such as Descent and Forsaken as well as contemporary shooters like Teleglitch, Sublevel Zero’s gravity-defying combat is driven by modern looting and crafting. Every shot and every decision counts as you navigate each hazard before it is too late. The emphasis is on survival and ammunition is scarce so you will need to strengthen your tactics, adaptability and skill in order to survive enemy encounters.
Sublevel Zero started life during Ludum Dare 29. Having been discussing roguelikes and the unfortunate demise of 6DoF shooters, the team decided to combine the concepts to create something fresh. Placing 21st of thousands of entries and having received a lot of intensely positive feedback from genre fans and newcomers alike, a prototype was born from the jam build to test and flesh out further aspects of the game. Mastertronic snatched Sublevel Zero up shortly after, and we’re excited to finally make it public!
- Classic 6-degree-of-freedom combat, driven by modern looting and crafting
- An unforgiving roguelike core of procedural generation and permadeath
- Stylised low-poly, pixel art aesthetics
- Oculus Rift support
- 8-bit inspired sound design and soundtrack
2. Tango Fiesta
Tango Fiesta is a top-down co-operative shooter for up to 4 players. Based on all our favourite games and movies of the 1980’s, and featuring elements of randomisation and levelling up. You might called it a Rogue-like or maybe a Rogue-lite – but we’re not sure where the line is drawn.
Who’s making it?
A team of four British indie game developers under the Spilt Milk Studios banner, they came together attending Game Jams, and things went from there!
Where did it originate from?
Tango Fiesta was first built in 8 hours for the Rezzed 2013 game jam. The theme was “The 80’s” and for us, that was perfect. It’s named after a Tango class hosted at an Argentinian restaurant in Birmingham that we had dinner at the night before the Jam.
3. Beyond Flesh & blood
Beyond Flesh and Blood is a horror-genre action-shooter from PixelBomb Games. The year is 2281 and Earth is in ruins after the Global War. Society now lives in The Tree of Life, an anchored orbital station on the edge of Earth’s atmosphere governed by the U.G.R (United Global Remnant). A scattering of rogue scavengers still remain on the ground, surviving off the old world as hostiles.
The divide between the orbital population and scavengers is pushed to breaking point when a meteorite collides with earth and brings with it an unthinkable threat.
4. Theo & Lizzy
heo is a young man whom, like all his friends and family, lives on the ground. However, the one person most important to Theo does not live on the ground. Lizzy a young woman whom, like all her friends and family, lives on the ceiling. The ‘grounders’ live on the ground and the ‘uppers’ live on the ceiling. This is how it has always been. That was until Theo found out he was able to do something very special indeed…
A story of love, prejudice and running on ceilings.
When Lizzy’s mother catches Theo and Lizzy together, it sets off an unimaginable chain of events that might just change the world forever.
Join Theo, as he tries to get past the sneers and distrust of the ‘uppers’ and the anger and frustrations of the ‘grounders’ on a journey through a beautifully illustrated world in pursuit of a romance that will put him in danger from both sides.
Born amidst a graveyard of unfinished prototypes and half done projects Theo and Lizzy stood among the rest as a game with a story worth telling.
- Fast-paced and frantic gameplay – You’ll be screaming at your monitor as you hurtle through the world avoiding spikes, flames, springs and a whole swarm of other traps and obstacles.
- Stunning hand illustrated world – Explore a fractured world where two very different cultures have collided.
- Unlockable abilities – Unlock an assortment of powerful abilities throughout the game to help you hurtle through levels even faster!
- 70+ levels – Over seventy hazard packed levels for you to work your way through, each with a unique set of challenges.
- A moving story of love and prejudice – Unravel a tale of two lovers who are being driven apart by forces beyond their control.
5. Raging Justice
Raging Justice is a modern take on the 2D scrolling brawler that pulls the classic genre kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
In a city held to ransom by a mysterious crime lord, two maverick cops, Nikki Rage and Rick Justice, fight to prove that no-one is above the law. Whether you dare to take on the criminal world alone, or enlist a friend in a co-op attack, Raging Justice delivers a multitude of ways to defeat your enemies. As you are smashing through a bar fight with a bar stool, mowing down enemies on a lawnmower, or battling terrifying bosses, you can choose to play as good cop or bad cop. Will you arrest the criminals, or pummel them to the ground? The path you choose has consequences and leads to alternate endings.
Raging Justice is a modern game born of a classic era. With online multiplayer, stylistic stop-motion effect HD graphics, and bombastic soundtrack, Raging Justice doesn’t hold back.
Raging Justice has been a labour of love for a small team of ex-Rare developers. We’re ardent fans of the classic scrolling beat-em-up brawlers of the 1980s and ‘90s, developing what we plan to be a perfect homage to a golden-era of gameplay.
- Classic brawler gameplay.
- Fight through action packed levels, then face-off against awesome boss enemies.
- Multiplayer co-operative gameplay.
6. Not GTA V (Not Games)
Sure, it’s called NotGTAV, but those letters stand for Great Traffic Adventure and the V is silent. Like the one in “lawsuit” (which, you’ll notice, is also invisible).
This short tour of the glories of the UK’s M4 corridor is easy to play, hard to master, addictive, very funny, and cheap.
100% of the profits from this game go to young people’s charity Peer Productions. Without Peer Productions the NotGames team would never have met. By buying this game you can help us pay something back.
NotGames: Sticking it to the virtual man since about ten minutes ago.
Q: Is it meant to look that bad?
A: Yes. Really. It’s satire. Like South Park.
Q: Is it meant to be just Snake?
A: Again, yes. That’s kinda the point of the satire, see?
Q: So why should I buy it exactly?
A: We guarantee it’ll be the funniest game of Snake you’ve ever played. Especially if you know anything about the UK. Or an infamous driving game whose lawyers don’t want us to talk about it. Or have, you know, a sense of humour.
7. RIOT – Civil Unrest
As the world’s economical crisis deepens and inequality tears the very fabric of society the discontentment of the masses manifests itself in violent public disturbances and civil disorder.
RIOT – Civil Unrest is the highly anticipated real-time strategy game that places the player right in the heart of some of the world’s most fractious riots -Indignados (Spain), Arab Spring (Egypt), Keratea (Greece) and NoTAV (Italy). Already heavily backed on Steam Greenlight, RIOT – Civil Unrest is coming to Steam this summer.
RIOT – Civil Unrest’s creator, Leonard Menchiari, experienced rioting first-hand at the NoTAV protests in Italy. He created the game to tell the stories and express the feelings experienced during these clashes. What triggers the crowd to behave with such anger and aggression? Often outnumbered, what does a police officer feel like during the conflict? RIOT – Civil Unrest presents the player with the opportunity to experience both sides of the fight – a fight in which there really are no winners. Who is right and who is wrong? Experience RIOT – Civil Unrest and draw your own conclusions.
Play as the Police
- Employ numerous crowd-control tactics, both passive and aggressive.
- Command Assault, Tactical, Ballistic, Arrest and Plain Clothes squads.
- Call in police trucks, water cannon, snatch squads and others.
- Choose whether to use smoke grenades, rubber and plastic bullets, tasers or even live ammunition.
Play as the Rioters
- Instruct Leaders, Agitators, Rioters (armed and passive) and Journalists.
- Incite rage and cause the masses to act aggressively or try to calm the situation with tactical crowd reformation and retreats.
- Attack authority with Molotov cocktails, fireworks, paper-bombs, rocks, street furniture and the power of the media.
- Twenty levels split over four campaigns Keratea (Greece), NoTAV (Italy), Indignados (Spain) and Arab Spring (Egypt).
- See the story unfold from both sides – play all twenty levels as the Rioters or the Police.
- Single player mode – play against the computer AI.
- Skirmish mode – play against a friend on the same computer.
- Multiplayer mode: play against a friend online.
Create your own Riots with the level editor
- Alter the look of the confrontation by importing your own background graphics.
- Position elements, vehicles and obstacles where you want them.
- Set the time of day and the weather.
- Choose and position rioters and police starting points as well as their orders and level of aggression.
he ultimate postal service has arrived… self-delivering cardboard boxes! We need you and your friends to test this revolutionary technology before it goes to market: It’s time to Roll, Jump and Unbox to Victory!
Unbox was created during the December UE4 Game Jam and inspired by the games we played and loved while growing up. From the competitive and frenetic action of Goldeneye to the expansive exploration of Super Mario 64, there are threads of old school design woven throughout Unbox. Add in some contemporary influences from titles such as Katamari Damacy, Marble Blast Ultra, Noby Noby Boy and you get a game like nothing else… Unbox!
Unbox was initially developed during the Unreal Engine 4 Christmas game jam, by Manchester based start-up Prospect Games. Feedback for the jam entry was overwhelmingly positive and since January Unbox has expanded and evolved into a full title, including an expansive singleplayer and explosive multiplayer.
Unbox will be released on PC in 2016.
- Single Player: Explore epic worlds, complete crazy challenges and beat the bosse
- Multiplayer: Gather your friends for explosive Split-screen action!
- Weapons: Explode the competition with the wackiest of weapons!
- Customisation: The 21st century Cardboard Box knows how to accessorise!
9. The Escapists: The Walking Dead
Merging the award-winning, smash-hit, indie game The Escapists with the worldwide phenomenon that is The Walking Dead, Team17 have taken the very best of both worlds and are now providing players with the opportunity to play Rick Grimes as he takes on hordes of zombies let loose upon the world.
In this unique game, recreated entirely in the charming 8-bit pixel art style of The Escapists, Rick is in charge of a band of survivors featuring many of the original comic book cast. He must secure the safety of the group by seeking out a safe escape route from each area, and manage several dangerous tasks to keep as many of the group alive as possible. The game faithfully matches the timeline of the comics and so as the player makes progress in the game they play through locations that mirror the progress of the band of the survivors taken from the award-winning comic’s epic story.
- 5 Locations: Tackle 5 of the most infamous locations from The Walking Dead story including: Meriwether County Correctional Facility, Woodbury, and Alexandria
- Epic Crafting: Choose from over two hundred + different items to make over 70 tools or weapons to aid your survival.
- Well known characters: Interact with all your favourite characters from the comics and recruit them to help you with important tasks.
- Routines: Make sure you and your survivors keep up your daily routines – it’s important for morale!
- Guns!: Firearms will now be available to craft or discover – they are handy for keeping walkers at bay!
- Zombie hordes: Use your wits and your survivor companions to fend off hordes of hungry walkers.
- Steam Achievements: Be sure to check every desk and room if you want to get them all!
- Steam Leaderboards: Optimise your plans and strategies to complete the levels in the fastest time.
- Cloud Saves: Take your game on the go to make sure you can get your fix.
10. Eden Star
Eden Star is an immersive Sci-Fi survival game that blends innovative physics based combat, destructible environments and free-form construction with the exploration of a hostile alien world.
Explore and gather resources from the environment of Pharus 7, use these materials to construct defensive outposts, craft powerful weaponry and upgrade your Pioneer.
Use your MATA-Tool (Remote Manipulation Device) to harvest trees, foliage and mineral rich rocks within a real-time physics driven environment. Obtain Material Shards for use in outpost building, weapon construction and powerful upgrades. Destroy and recreate your surroundings at will; the world is yours to manipulate, just watch out for the indigenous lifeforms…
Use gathered Materials to craft defenses, walls, ramps and turrets to protect your outpost or construct powerful weapons and upgrades for your Pioneer. Place gathered Materials within your Eden Kit to store, or use them to upgrade the Eden Kit’s protective shield and power additional defenses. Expand your territory by building additional Eden kits. How you balance your resources is up to you.
Using unique physics-driven combat you can remotely grab enemies and smash or blast them into the destructible environment. Upgrade your weaponry to tackle the alien hives and claim the territory for your own. Combine different attacks and abilities in order to survive against enemies and environmental hazards. A simple, but fluid movement system gives you freedom to move athletically across surfaces.
Death in Eden Star is permanent. You can be reconstructed back by the Eden Kit provided it contains Teslinium and remains intact, but naturally it must be protected…