As you should already know My Games Lounge Loves Indie Games especially the creative ones that really make you smile the moment you see them. Having played Killing Floor 2 and Trine 3 recently I was ready for more quality Indie Games and then we saw this game by Crazy Monkey Studios. Guns, Gore and Connoli.
Checking out the below trailer for the first time had me immediately impressed and itching to have a go. I played a few hours of the game so far and really enjoyed my experience and can see why the game has already won some awards at the Indie Prize Showcase.
The game is a 2D shooter with a gangster theme set in prohibition times in the 1920’s. You take control of Vinnie Connoli who’s taking his orders from the Mob and trying to find someone called Frankie. The only issue is that most of the city is now a flesh eating zombie and you need to blast your way through them to find your target.
The gameplay sees you moving through the city as zombies come at you front and back and even in the early stages there are a real variety of monsters that will come at you. Simple staggering zombies, deformed cops shooting their guns randomly, chefs with an endless supply of meat cleavers and even some american football line-backer zombies that charge right for you.
You pick up guns and ammo along the way and blast them to pieces, you have to think about it however as you can only shoot straight ahead, no ability to tilt the gun at all other than crouching or jumping. This adds a challenge in that some zombies you can’t hit with certain weapons if they are say wearing a big board on their chest so you have to swap to your trusty pistol with infinite ammo to get them in the head. I like the challenge but at times this can make it a bit tricky to shoot the enemies in certain level layouts but it is a lot of good fun.
There is also the option to play with friends LOCALLY on the game so more than one player can have a laugh with this however this is not online at this moment in time. Its a good laugh though and gives you some interesting characters.
Graphically the game is presented like a comic book with some nice artwork that really sells the game, particularly in the design of the zombies coming at you. Then you have the sound which is really well voiced acted so far with some funny dialogue and interesting characters. I also find it funny that the subtitles in the game are professional and don’t always match the Italian American Slang terms used by Vinnie and other characters he meets along the way.
So far I love it think its great mixture of action, comedy and classic gameplay and you should NOT forget about it! The official review will be out on this soon.
About the game
Imagine The Godfather playing Metal Slug on the Night of the Living Dead.
Guns, Gore and Cannoli is an over-the-top, comical, fast-paced action game with hand drawn graphics set in the Roaring Twenties. Meet Vinnie Cannoli, a hard-boiled gangster who comes to Thugtown, to find a goodfella who is gone missing.
Nothing that can’t be solved with a kind word with the local gangsters though. Especially when you’re packing a Tommy gun and a double barrel shotgun to be a little more persuasive. There’s only one thing that’s holding him back… Every friggin’ lowlife in the city turned into a flesh-eating maniac. This is survival horror, wiseguy style… Capiche?
Guns, Gore and Cannoli will release on April 30, 2015 for PC and Mac. The release date for Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U will be announced in the near future.
- Action-Packed Gameplay: Prepare yourself for a non-stop, action-packed, completely over-the-top, platform game where you have to fight, shoot, blast and kick your way through a deeply engrossing story. Not only will you have to take on the undead, but also rivalling gangsters and government officials.
- Epic Gangster Story: Beneath the city overrun by zombies, there’s a dark story of conspiracy and betrayal. Unravel the sneaky mafia ways and government conspiracy while you try to look for your lost pal and for answers about the zombie-outbreak.
- Beautifully hand-drawn 2d graphics and animations: Step into the atmospherical, shady world built by HD hand-drawn 2d graphics. Experience fluid animations and cinematic style cut-scenes.
- Immersive World and Period: Despite Prohibition and the imminent Depression, people are ready to drink themselves to (un)dead. Every inch of the game is like a picture straight from the Prohibition era. The cars, the furniture, the Speakeasy clubs, the music and the weaponry reflect the turbulent days of the roaring twenties.
- Co-op mode: Partner up with friends and unravel the mystery together.