It’s about to get real gamers! The big months of gaming are here, and in this article you’ll find out October game releases preview, with Action the main focus of the releases in October.
The majority of us out there love more games than our wallets will stretch to. So here we have a run down of the 7 action titles that you might be interested in. Plus, you can head over to our list of all October game releases on page two here.
But, I’d rather you had a look below first because here there are 7 awesome games explored in detail with trailers, information and my thoughts. Plus, each title links to the official website for more information.
Enjoy gamers. Please do leave a comment below with which games you’ll be getting and share the list around your social media friends.
Just to note, First Person games were covered recently On This Article so check them out there!
Warhammer End Times Vermintide – October 4
Well here we have a PC hit that is making it’s way onto console next week. The game proudly holds a 9/10 steam rating and is 79 on metacritic right now. Can’t be too bad right?
This console version of this game could wind up being something very addictive. The co-op survival mode on PS4 and Xbox One is a match made in heaven. There is even a Beta free and playable right now so it’s worth a try before you buy.
The game also promises a massive arsenal of weapons and 5 heros to play as alongside a new story to experience. PC gamers have been loving it so console guys and gals, this might be one to consider this October.
Check out the information and trailer below.
The once proud city of Ubersreik now stands in ruin at the hands of the dreaded Skaven army. Few have survived their ruthless invasion. Team up with 3 friends and work together to thin out the ratmen’s forces and drive them out of the city.
Assume the role of one of five heroes, and hack, slash, smash, burn and pierce the vile Skaven using a multitude of weapons. Fight your way through the city of Ubersreik, from the top of the Magnus Tower to the bowels of the Under Empire. This is our last stand and only you can stem the Vermintide.
- Cooperative Survival For up to 4 Players – Band together with your friends or die alone. Vermintide will continuously test the teamwork and skill of you and your friends. Drop-in, drop-out Multiplayer and the addition of A.I. bots ensures a full team at any time, regardless of available players.
- Play as Five Unique Heroes – Five distinct characters to choose from, each with their own personality, agenda and story to tell. Learning what it means to work together is key to the group’s survival.
- Huge Hero Arsenal – Each hero has its own unique weapons arsenal to draw from, allowing players to adjust their combat style to fit their gameplay preference. There are hundreds of different weapons, including swords, daggers, axes, hammers, bows, guns, magical staves & more
- Embark on an Epic Quest – Boasting 13 diverse levels – on the ground, in buildings, on walls and underground – ranging from the immense Magnus Tower to the treacherous Under Empire, Vermintide will take you on a journey you’ll never forget.
- Experience the Skaven Like Never Before – A rising tide of malicious and cunning rat-men await you, hacking, clawing and eviscerating all that stand in their way. Face vicious packs of clan-rats and deadly specialized elites.
- Gather Mountains of Shiny Loot – Rewarding teamwork above all else, players are given loot dice at the end of a mission that will reward them with a weapon, a hat or a trinket. Completing side objectives means that better loot dice can be added to the roll.
- Battle Unpredictable Enemies – Vermintide features a dynamic spawn system providing a constant set of new challenges lurking behind every corner.
- Experience an Immersive Story – Games Workshop veterans have banded together to write a fantastic new addition to the Warhammer lore, offering a new perspective on the cataclysmic events of The End Times.
Mafia 3 – October 7
Now Mafia 3 looks particularly “Game of The Year” contender material for this month, if they get it right. It may be tough given the quality delivered by Uncharted 4 earlier in the year, but this has the potential to be an excellent game.
I love a dark plot and the more I can affect the game with my decisions the better. So it’s really interesting to see how this will work within Mafia 3 as the game allows you to do things your way. Just how deep this goes remains to be seen but it is a huge selling point.
Not to mention the 1960s setting, really dark plot and some impressive scenes so far from the gameplay released. It could be the whole package if the story holds up throughout and there is a technically well made open world.
Mafia 2 was a good game, but had it’s problems. Is this next entry going to take the series to new heights? We find out next week.
It’s 1968 and the rules have changed.
After years of combat in Vietnam, Lincoln Clay knows this truth: family isn’t who you’re born with, it’s who you die for. Now back home in New Bordeaux, Lincoln is set on escaping a criminal past. But when his surrogate family, the black mob, is betrayed and wiped out by the Italian Mafia, Lincoln builds a new family on the ashes of the old and blazes a path of military-grade revenge through those responsible.
Intense gun fights, visceral hand-to-hand combat, white knuckle driving and street smarts will all be needed. But with the right crew, tough decisions and some dirty hands, it’s possible to make it to the top of the city’s underworld.
Gears of War 4 – October 11
Back with the Gears gamers! As a fan of the series this one immediately jumps out as being the big game of the month. We saw some early gameplay, released this this week (which you can watch below) and it all looks classic gears action and I personally feel it’s been too long since we got a new entry in the series.
Here we take on the game as the son of Marcus, JD Fenix and the locust are back and looking really pissed off! As the slogan suggests we can “never play alone” so it’s all going to be about co-op story and fast action in multiplayer.
The game does look very traditional gears and this leaves a few questions that needs answering. Has the game moved forward enough to be of the standard of todays action-shooters? And, what can new development team The Coalition deliver?
Time will tell but if I can slice up some locust with my chainsaw lancer I am a happy gamer! See some gameplay and all the main details for Gears of War 4 below.
New Story, Heroes and a Nightmare Reborn: The first chapter of an all-new “Gears” saga thrusts players into an epic and perilous journey through the wilds of Sera. Fight as JD Fenix – son of the legendary hero Marcus Fenix – as he embarks on a desperate mission with his friends Kait and Del to find their missing loved ones and confront a fearsome new threat.
- Never Fight Alone: Rev up your Lancer and fight your way through the Campaign with a friend over Xbox Live or via local split screen co-op, with the option to play as JD, Kait or Del. Cross Play lets Xbox One and Windows 10 gamers play together in cooperative modes like Campaign, Horde and Co-Op Versus.
- Shared Progression and Achievements with Xbox Play Anywhere across Xbox One and Windows 10: Cloud saves enable you to switch seamlessly between both versions of game, giving you the freedom to play where you choose. Both versions are included with a single purchase.
- Fight through a Dynamic and Deadly Environment: Brace yourself against ferocious windflares that blow away cover, bend your shots and drastically alter the battlefield, forcing you to employ new tactics. As the windflare intensity increases, each enemy confrontation evolves into a brutal fight for survival in this tale of Man vs. Monster.
- New Arsenal of Weapons and Combat Tactics: Pummel your enemies from cover with new close-cover combat moves like yank, vault kick and a bloody new combat-knife execution. Make use of dangerous new weapons, like the Buzzkill and Dropshot, to shoot around and over cover, raining destruction from all angles.
- The Best “Gears” Multiplayer Experience Yet: Whether you enjoy powering through the co-op Campaign, fending for survival in Horde mode or testing your skills in frenetic Versus Multiplayer matches running in 60 FPS on dedicated servers, “Gears of War 4” is the ultimate game to play with friends.
- Explosive Versus Multiplayer Action: Compete in intense multiplayer gametypes that reward social, competitive and professional players alike, including three new modes: Dodgeball, Arms Race and the premier new competitive “Gears” multiplayer mode, Escalation. Track your progress with the new visible ranking system that drives online matchmaking and lets you stand out for your abilities.
- The Next Generation of Horde: Team up with up to four other players and weather the onslaught using class-based skills and dynamic fortifications. For the first time, you can build and deploy defensive weapons and fortifications anywhere on the map.
- Play with Friends Against AI Foes: Fine-tune your skills in Co-Op Versus, where your match-made team of five squares off against increasingly punishing AI teams.
- The Complete “Gears of War” Collection: For a limited time, “Gears of War 4” (both digital and retail versions) will include the entire Xbox 360 “Gears of War” collection. Play through the original “Gears of War” trilogy and “Gears of War: Judgment” on Xbox One via backwards compatibility, amounting to over 50 hours of “Gears of War” gameplay.
Rise of The Tomb Raider 20th Anniversary – October 11
Prepare to be annoyed by me Xbox owners, but Lara comes home in October! Rise of the Tomb Raider hits the PS4 almost a year after it’s rival console the Xbox One had an exclusive deal on the action-adventure icon.
Hang on, I’m an Xbox One owner. I hate myself right now!
I kid. No fanboy/girl stuff here on MGL thank you. Microsoft got a great deal on Rise of the Tomb Raider and the game itself was outstanding on release, mainly down to the hard work of Crystal Dynamics and the performance of Camilla Luddington.
The game was all but perfect and only the masterpiece that was Uncharted 4 is better in the genre for me. This is still an amazing release and many PS4 gamers have yet to play this. Given this type of game would traditionally appeal to the PlayStation audience more this really could do well.
See what comes with the 20th anniversary edition below along with some more trailers.
Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration includes the critically acclaimed Rise of the Tomb Raider, nominated for over 75 “Best Of” awards, in which Lara Croft becomes more than a survivor as she embarks on her first Tomb Raiding expedition to the most treacherous and remote regions of Siberia.
Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration also includes the new “Blood Ties” single player content, VR support, new Co-Op play for Endurance mode, “Ultimate Survivor” difficulty mode for the main campaign, 20 Year Celebration outfit and gun, and 5 classic Lara skins. Also includes all previously released Downloadable Content including: Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch, Endurance Mode, Cold Darkness Awakened, 12 outfits, 7 weapons, and 35 expedition cards. With over 50 hours of gameplay, this is the most comprehensive version of the award-winning experience.
- The Critically Acclaimed Action Adventure – In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara uncovers an ancient mystery that places her in the cross-hairs of a ruthless organization known as Trinity. As she races to find the secret before Trinity, the trail leads to a myth about the Lost City of Kitezh. Lara knows she must reach the Lost City and its hidden secrets before Trinity as she sets out for Siberia on her first Tomb Raiding expedition.
- NEW “Blood Ties” Single Player Story – In the wake of her father’s death, Lara’s uncle challenges her ownership of Croft Manor. Lara is determined to reclaim her legacy and prove that she is the rightful heir, but to do that she will need to confront her past head on. Explore Lara’s childhood home in an hour of new Story Mode gameplay, and uncover a family mystery that will change her life forever. This new mode is playable in standard third person and can also be experienced in Virtual Reality mode.
- NEW “Blood Ties” Nightmare – Lara’s worst nightmares come alive as hordes of the undead overrun her childhood home. Defeat hordes of infectious zombies to become the ultimate zombie slayer, before the nightmare overwhelms you! Compete with friends and create community challenges with card modifiers in an all new Nightmare Mode.
- NEW Endurance Mode Co-Op: You and a friend must scrounge, scavenge and craft to survive the harsh elements by day, as well as lethal threats from enemies, both man and beast, by night. This is the ultimate test to see how long you and a friend can survive the sprawling, unforgiving landscapes. Fire takes fuel, cold kills the unprepared, food restores health, and everything must be caught, collected, or crafted. You start with nothing and must find everything. Work together and challenge others to your longest survival run and battle to the top of the leaderboards.
- NEW 20 Year Celebration Content – Five classic Lara Croft skins as well as a reimagined outfit that pays tribute to Lara’s trip to Antarctica in Tomb Raider III. New content also includes the “Extreme Survivor” difficulty setting in Rise of the Tomb Raider that will severely limit your save points, crafting materials, resources, ammunition, and health – only the most resourceful and capable will survive this new extreme difficulty.
- Includes all DLC – Includes all downloadable content that will extend your single-player campaign and will allow you to compete with friends. Three major releases will challenge you to survive the extreme conditions of Endurance Mode, explore a new tomb that houses an ancient terror in Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch, and combat waves of infected predators in Cold Darkness Awakened. In addition, new outfits, weapons, and Expedition Cards will keep you customizing, expanding, and challenging your friends to new adventures.
Shadow Warrior 2 – October 13
Shadow Warrior was an excellent game and the sequel has two massive selling points that you simply cannot ignore. One, the game has amazing procedural gore that is so brutal you just want to just keep hacking **** up. And two, rock legend Stan Bush from the original and best animated Transformers movie is heading up the soundtrack.
i mean seriously, do you need anything else?
But there is more since you can get yourself into the game with 4 player co-op in this game and wield your own brand of justice. Whether you like the guns or the blades, getting those powers going or just outthinking the enemy, there seems plenty of action here for anyone.
We can’t wait for the game, the first Shadow Warrior Was Excellent and we want in on some of that gameplay below!
Shadow Warrior 2 is the stunning evolution of Flying Wild Hog’s offbeat first-person shooter following the further misadventures of former corporate shogun Lo Wang. Now surviving as a reclusive mercenary on the edge of a corrupted world, the formidable warrior must again wield a devastating combination of guns, blades, magic and wit to strike down the demonic legions overwhelming the world he inadvertently corrupted.
Battle alongside allies online in four-player co-op or go it alone in this inventive sequel to the best-selling remake from 2013. Complete outrageous missions, collect powerful new armor, arcane relics of legend and choose from an array of masterfully designed weaponry – including a katana chainsaw that allows you to carve up your enemies in real-time. Finesse is the name of the game when it comes to dynamic dismemberment.
The Warrior EP is available for pre-order now and shipping out in November with game keys being delivered on October 13. Shadow Warrior 2 is set to launch on PC October 13 and is available now for pre-order on Steam, GOG, and Humble with up to 20% off for Shadow Warrior owners. For news and information on development, visit shadowwarrior.com.
Batman: Return to Arkham – October 21
How dare I right! Remastered games on this list, how ridiculous is that! But there are two exceptional games in this package and for the gamer that hasn’t played them before, this is an amazing package. In truth, as someone who’s played them both through a few times, I still think this is a game worth picking up.
Batman by Rocksteady redefined what to expect of a superhero game. No more of the awful movie tie in for extra cash. There was nothing sacrificed in terms of gameplay either as there was the clear desire to make the ultimate Batman experience.
Fans may be divided in which is better, but the original really did amaze us at the time and Arkham City was practically perfect. These too together with all additional DLC and upgrade to the visuals is surely something worth taking note of.
Just to hear more amazing Mark Hamill’s The Joker and Kevin Conroy’s Batman is tempting. Check out more about it below.
Batman: Arkham Asylum is where it all began. Originally developed by Rocksteady Studios and released in 2009, the game pushed the envelope for action, adventure and super hero games and exposed players to a unique, dark and atmospheric adventure taking them to the depths of Arkham Asylum. Featuring an original story, gamers can move in the shadows, instill fear amongst their enemies and confront The Joker and Gotham City’s most notorious villains, including Harley Quinn, Bane, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy and Scarecrow, who have taken over the asylum.
Batman: Arkham City is Rocksteady Studios’ 2011 follow-up to Batman: Arkham Asylum. The game builds upon the intense, atmospheric foundation of Batman: Arkham Asylum, sending players soaring through the expansive Arkham City – the maximum security “home” for all of Gotham City’s thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds. Featuring an incredible Rogues Gallery of Gotham City’s most dangerous criminals including Catwoman, The Joker, The Riddler, Two-Face, Harley Quinn, The Penguin, Mr. Freeze and many others, the game allows players to experience what it feels like to be The Dark Knight and deliver justice to those confined within Arkham City.
Darksiders Warmastered Edition – October 25
Two in a row? Well, if I went off genre I could bring in a 3rd but this is the last entry and a game I loved. Darksiders was an excellent game with a wonderful plot and some top gameplay mechanics that saw you really working on puzzles, combat and getting those upgrades. Everything was so well balanced throughout and I want more.
So following on from Darksiders 2 Deathinitive we now have a Warmastered edition coming.
Again, for those gamers who missed the original this is a great option. If the gameplay holds up then there is a good chance this could do really well. Does it also mean the renamed THQ Nordic are going to be dropping a new Darksiders game on is soon since we are being re-introduced to the characters again?
Let’s hope so. This game was great and while it could feel a little dated and clunky compared to modern action games if released as just a face lift, it’s still worth experiencing the original game. Check out some more information below.
About Darksiders Warmastered Edition
Deceived by the forces of evil into prematurely bringing about the end of the world, War – the first Horseman of the Apocalypse – stands accused of breaking the sacred law by inciting a war between Heaven and Hell. In the slaughter that ensued, the demonic forces defeated the heavenly hosts and laid claim to the Earth.
Brought before the sacred Charred Council, War is indicted for his crimes and stripped of his powers. Dishonored and facing his own death, War is given the opportunity to return to Earth to search for the truth and punish those responsible.
Hunted by a vengeful group of Angels, War must take on the forces of Hell, forge uneasy alliances with the very demons he hunts, and journey across the ravaged remains of the Earth on his quest for vengeance and vindication.
- Apocalyptic Power – Unleash the wrath of War, combining brutal attacks and supernatural abilities to decimate all who stand in your way
- Extreme Arsenal – Wield a devastating arsenal of angelic, demonic and Earthlyweapons; and blaze a trail of destruction atop Ruin, War’s fiery phantom steed
- Epic Quest – Battle across the wastelands and demon-infested dungeons of the decimated Earth in your quest for vengeance and redemption
- Character Progression – Uncover powerful ancient relics, upgrade your weapons, unlock new abilities, and customize your gameplay style
- Battle Heaven and Hell – Battle against all who stand in your way – from war-weary angelic forces to Hell’s hideous demon hordes
What, that’s it? Where the **** is…
If you are wondering where your game is well, there is a full list Over The Page. But here we certainly didn’t cover the big First Person Shooters of the month in Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2. Well, they are on our First Person Shoot Out Feature Here. Similar list but all about shooters.
More coming too as nice week we shift our attention to all the Remastered Games the could just be good enough to challenge the big boys this year.
Developers & Publishers: 2k Games, Microsoft Studios, Nordic Games, Square Enix, WB Interactive
Gaming Platform: PC Games, PS4, Xbox One
Genre: Action, Action Adventure
MGL Features: Game Release Previews